Meet Dr. Harada – Michael Y. Harada DMD FAGD
Michael Y. Harada, DMD, FAGD
Dr. Michael Harada grew up in the Chicagoland area. He attended Chicago Public Schools and graduated in 1970 from New Trier West High School. In 1986 he joined his father, Dr. Masaro Harada, D.D.S., in his Morton Grove office. Later, both moved in 1989 to Glenview where they practiced until Dr. Masaro Harada retired in 1998. The office has been taking care of families for 50 years. It remains a small, modern practice devoted to developing trust and confidence of patients in the community based on personal dental care.
In addition to graduating from Washington University School of Dental Medicine in St. Louis, Dr. Harada also earned a graduate biology degree from Northeastern Illinois University and earned a bachelor’s degree from Ripon College, Wisconsin. After finishing dental school, he volunteered for the U.S. Navy as a dentist and was stationed for three years at Camp Pendleton, CA. He was awarded the Fleet Marine Force Ribbon and Achievement Medal while on active duty.
After the service, he was selected as one of two residents at Evanston Hospital’s General Practice Residency Program. He is currently on staff at Evanston and Glenbrook Hospital and volunteers as an attending staff with their dental residency program.
Dr. Harada maintains his continuing education by attending courses in Illinois and around the country. He is an alumnus of the Pankey Institute in Key Biscayne, Florida and the Peter Dawson seminars in St. Petersburg, Florida. In response to taking continuing education, Dr. Harada earned an Academy of General Dentistry Fellowship, after completion of many hours of continuing education and by examination. The award represents constant learning and dedication to the profession of dentistry.
Dr. Harada has been a volunteer CPR instructor with the American Heart Association since 1978. He is married to the lovely Yvonne and has two daughters, Dana and Emily. In his spare time, he enjoys spending time with his family, finding self-awareness, reading, visiting libraries, and swimming. He is a member of Kiwanis and is involved with Victories of the Heart.
- Ripon College, Ripon, Wisconsin, BA biology 1974.
- Northeastern Illinois University, Chicago, Illinois, MS biology 1978.
- Washington University in St. Louis, DMD, 1982.
- United States Navy, active duty at Camp Pendleton 1982-1985, California. Reserve duty for twelve years. Navy Achievement Medal, Fleet Marine Force Ribbon, honorable discharge as Lieutenant Commander 1998.
- Evanston Hospital, General Practice Residency, Evanston, Illinois 1985-1986. Selective program that has two dental residents attend to hospital inpatients and community outpatients.
- Fellow in the Academy of General Dentistry, by examination 1992.
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- Chicago Dental Society, www.cds.org
- Illinois State Dental Society, www.isds.org
- Academy of Sports Dentistry, www.sportsdentistry-asd.org
- American Dental Association, www.ada.org
- NorthShore University Health System, www.northshore.org, Attending staff
- Academy of General Dentistry, www.agd.org
- American Heart Association, www.americanheart.org CPR Instructor in Basic Life Support
- Windy City Rollers, www.windycityrollers.com Dental consultant
- American College of Dentists, www.acd.org By nomination
- Alumnus Pankey Institute, www.pankey.org, Key Biscayne, Florida.
- Alumnus Peter Dawson Seminars, St. Petersburg, Florida.
- Unique Infection Control, Patricia Pine, R.D.H., infection control training annually
- Pankey Study Club
- Rick Simon, LCPC, Interpersonal relationship development, in office annually
- Kiwanis International
- Kiwanis Key Club Advisor, Glenbrook South High School
- Midwest Buddhist Temple, board member 1992-1995, 2004-2008
- Victories of the Heart
Read up on Dr. Harata’s Interview in VoyageChicago!